In the process of learning lucid dreaming, it is helpful to optimize your sleep to ensure mental clarity and energy. If you carry your worry and stress to sleep, then you will not have the awareness to realize when you are dreaming. Therefore, it is helpful to do certain tasks to relax your restless mind before going to bed.
Here are some tips to help calm you down before going to bed:
1. Meditate Before Going to Bed
If we carry negative or chaotic states into our sleep state, these will be reflected and manifest in our dreams. The following morning, we would often wake up with negative feelings including fear, dread and apprehension.
2. Avoid Having Meals 2-3 Hours Before Bedtime
Digestion requires a lot of energy from our body.
3. Avoid Screens (TV, Laptops, Cell Phones) 1-2 Hours Before Bed
The blue light from these devices signals to your brain that it is still day time so your body produces less melatonin, a hormone that helps you fall asleep.
4. Avoid Alcohol Before Sleep
5. Have Your Last Coffee 8 Hours Before Bedtime
Caffeine has a half-life of 5-8 hours.
6. Identify Activities That Keep You Up and Avoid Them
These activities include staying on Facebook, reading emotionally charged tabloids and political blogs, watching the nightly news, your favorite TV series on Netflix etc.
7. Take a Warm Shower or Bath 60-90 Minutes Before Bed
When you come out of a warm shower into a cooler bedroom, your body temperature will drop. That drop in temperature signals your body that it’s time to rest, slowing down essential metabolic functions including heart rate, breathing and digestion.
8. Write Down Your Tasks for Tomorrow
When you do this, they will no longer swarm around in your head, which can cause anxiety that you will forget to do them.
9. Sleep in A Dark Room
Get thick curtains and block any electronic lights.
10. Best Posture to Sleep Is on Your Back or Your Side
Sleeping on your stomach puts pressure on your vital organs.
11. Get Enough Sleep