Getting your garden off to a solid start is one of the most important things you can do to ensure success. Follow the tips outlined below and watch your vegan organic spring garden flourishes and blossoms.
- Choose planting areas based on exposure to sun, shade, wind and distance from water source.
- Study garden for gaps that can be filled by spring-flowering bulbs, and order in August for best selection.
- Choose flowering trees and shrubs for color and time of bloom to add to the garden in the autumn.
Survey the Yard
- Make note of tree limbs that should be removed or cabled, especially those that overhang structures.
- Cut down last year’s perennial foliage, and toss it into the compost pile.
Mulch provides a blanket that helps keep moisture in the soil and prevent roots from getting too hot or cold and reduce weed problems. Rake mulch from beds planted with bulbs before foliage appears, and refresh mulch in other planting areas after soil warms.